Monday, November 8, 2010

sam winston

creatively, sometimes I feel very lost
I forget what I love, what inspires me
 I trawl blogs and see beauty everywhere but am overwhelmed
and now very little touches my soul
 
Yesterday I discovered an artist whose touch was gentle but took my breath away
thank you Sam Winston
 


... a series of collages based on Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet

Instead of presenting the play in its chronological order however – the text has been divided into the three emotional states – 
Passion, Rage, and Indifference. 

Every line said in ‘passion’ forms the first image, 
‘rage’ the second. 
The third 'indifference' is still to come.

The above collages are made from cutting out every bit of letter of these separated texts.


 
Made Up True Story :

 

 

 
"Winston’s experiments came from looking at the structures of different types of literature: from storybooks to bus timetables: “The way you navigate a timetable is very different to the way you read a short story” he comments. “I wanted to take these different types of visual navigation and introduce them to each other: a timetable re-ordering all the words from beauty and the beast, or a newspaper report on Snow White.” By imposing the visual rules of one style of writing to a different system of organizing language, Winston has created a visually arresting and verbally intriguing piece.” 
 
further work on his fantastic site
 
and, hooray Henry,
Sam has an exhibition this December!


(1st - 22nd December, Kaleid Editions, Redchurch St, E2 7DJ)
 
see you there
me xxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment